The Revolution Of Philip Johnson: New Canaan Glass House
In the Glass House one of the most important architectural principles proposed by Mies van der Rohe becomes evident: “Less is more”. In this house the applied materials are minimal. The economy of elements is very clear and practically any type of ornament is dispensed with. The influence of German rationalist architecture at New Canaan glass house on the early works of the American architect Philip Johnson is undeniable. Philip Johnson, originally a disciple of the German architect Mies van der Rohe and later apostate, began working in 1949 on the project of his own house in New Canaan, Connecticut.
Since its construction it was a controversial project, praised by many and highly criticized by others. For the detractors of the architecture of the “glass boxes”, it was an uncomfortable the glass house Philip Johnson model to be inhabited. The Crystal House can marked an important point in the search for transparency and flexibility of European modernity. Which without a doubt represents the end of the dematerialization of architecture.
The Glass House is located on a beautiful terrain in which the trees are the only barrier, they act as a border wall, able to stop the vision of the visitors through the glass walls. Even though the transparency of the glass makes this space a very light volume, the glass house architectures stands firm on the ground. The building’s floor part of a cube whose contour is formed only thanks to the fine work of ironwork painted in black steel. Which is confused with the trunks of the trees and whose foliage covers the house.